View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 02:56 AM
ptc (Richard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandum View Post
Cheers Richard, I have read your document and realise I need more S2,O3 but when you say tone down the Ha do you mean stretch the other 2 more or reduce opacity on the Ha. I'm combining these NB frames using Colour Mapping as Ken Crawford describes in his tutorials. I find selective sharpening can often take the flatness out of an image like this.
I mean both stretch the [SII] and [OIII] more and stretch less the Halpha

one of my operating principles is that you cannot do with photoshop and other software that which you failed to do well in the field. Focus is one such thing. I recommend against sharpening unless you like that overprocessed look.

there are at least two schools of thought: one says there's no filter that should not be used and it is not unusual to see someone spend a week processing 3 hours of data. the other approach is the one I use and that is to use minimal processing. I would spend three hours processing a week's worth of data by comparision.

you can do what you want, but nebulae don't have sharply defined features. the word nebuluous means something that is indistinct and ill-defined and that is descriptive of how the images of them should look from my point of view.