View Single Post
Old 09-09-2014, 08:01 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Wow, one year ago this thread was started. I saw it then, but couldn't comment as I hadn't seen it, back then.

But, YES! I've seen it! Saw it at July's Astrofest with my 17.5".

I was doing a sketch of the dark nebula B86 that sits very close to it (the dark nebula in the photo in the original post). Fellow IISer Oleg had his Sky Safari and showed me this area AFTER I completed the sketch. A quick scan of the noted area and I spotted it straight away - not the easiest bugger to pick out, and it takes a bit of doing to see it if you are not sure what to look for. Took Oleg a bit of searching (and a few expletives directed at me in disbelief that I had seen it... ), but he spotted it too.

It is just like it appears in the photo - a little ball of stars among the mass of stars that form the Cloud of Sagittarius. I believe I could begin to resolve it too.

I'm keen to go back to this GC using smaller apertures. It is not the dimmest GC, being mag 9.8, but it takes some doing to pick out from the background 'noise'. If I was aware of Djorg 2 before starting the sketch I would have changed the arrangement of the sketch of B86 to include it - the entire scene is spectacular, with the dark nebula, bright open cluster, mass of stars from the Cloud of Sagittarius, and the highly obscured GC. Gorgeous.

Mental.