View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 06:04 AM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

I am a fan of both Pentax and Televue and have several of both. I use them in Reflectors and Refractors and they do well in both.

When in the mood/need of wide views, the Televue Naglers and Ethoi are hard to beat. When it comes time to pump up the magnification I like the Pentax. I have the XWs 3.5, 5, 7 and. 10 and believe them to be wonderful. Easy to look through (I like their mechanism for eye-placement) a nice flat, sharp “cool” view. Ample eye relief.

The Televue lines to me are a little pickier on eye-placement and not as much eye relief. The Ethos line has the “cool” view I like (similar to the Pentax) but with a wider field...I have the 4.7, 13 and 21 I prefer the Pentax view over the shorter Ethos but the wide field is great when looking for faint fuzzies. I also have a number of Naglers, big fan of the 31 like looking through a portal and 16 (tight eye relief) but sharp sharp sharp. The Nagler views have a warmer tone to my eye...

Can not go far wrong with either...at least in the USA the Pentax XWs are on sale at the moment.