View Single Post
Old 18-10-2018, 09:29 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I got the bug when I put a little 2 meg camera to the EP and obtained a respectable shot of the Moon.

The fun I had processing that and similar images I will never forget.

I find the challenge something else given I am just a mug and not all that good with computers.

I find it exciting to capture objects that I can not see visually.

I did enjoy searching for bright or dark spots with binos and then taking photos to "discover" what that patch held.

I do think the game has the advantage of pushing one past their comfort zone.

I know in the last year I have become more patient and now able to manage the times when something does not work.

The big thing it has done for me (again) has got me up off my back and doing physical things that I have good excuse to avoid.

Building my "cube" was perhaps the most demanding thing I have ever done...given my sever phisical limitations..I did need a walker to go out ...it was constructed in the garage and dragged piece by piece up the stairs over a long period when once I could do such a job in a weekend.

And I am sure my legs have improved due to the forced effort.

Getting the narrow band set up took me from finding objects manually to, hopefully next time out, using plate solving.

I also got great satisfaction pulling down my mounts and getting the best performance possible from them.
The first site to cover a eq6 hot up was in Spanish and it was so good to go thru that experience.

And I get so much joy from wide fields using a cheap camera and lens that you would snap family photos.

I love the processing side very much...I turn up the colour or select a small section of a photo and blow it up and up to see just how far you can go.

None of those images are fit for posting but they are not for anyone else but me.

I also like how you are driven to get every little part of the act perfect and the little inventions you generate.

When I came up with the baffled dew tube it was so exciting to find out later that Hubble used the same idea or after thinking about a dragonfly set up to see someone did it and it was so good.

For those folk who find it frustrating or think its beyond them I say that it is only a matter of patience and persistance.

And as to the cost the fact is you can do excellent work with a dslr on a sky adventurer mount...even a static tripod really.

Also try not to compare your efforts with others as that will leave you mostly disappointed...

Taking up astrophotography is one of the best things I have ever done.
Alex