View Single Post
Old 23-12-2020, 08:49 PM
yoda776 (Matt)

I have a 2" version Celestron Deluxe 8 - 24mm zoom. It produces reasonable views but as others have said nothing outstanding in terms of performance. Viewing across the range seemed ok for me. I do understand the choice of a zoom eyepiece as I do enjoy using them (i.e. minimising the swapping in and out of eyepieces so you can concentrate on the view) when I have to pack lighter when the family are also in the car.

Mind you I have been spoilt by a zeiss zoom and leica zoom. I have a Baader, a Televue, A vixen and had a Parks zoom at one point. Baader was a good choice, but the zeiss does trump them all (as well as in cost unfortunately). Opinion on which is better is subjective and depends on the person's eyesight (considering this can differ greatly).

Meade did make a 8-24mm zoom as well - Sirius Optics has one on their site at the moment.

Having said this choosing single focal length eyepieces is likely to produce a better view IMHO, but really depends on what you are viewing and your expectations of what you would like the eyepiece to do.