View Single Post
Old 31-08-2011, 08:10 AM
Amunous (Michael)

When i started with my dob. I didn't know much about it as i had been using an old big eye 128mm on an EQ.

I didn't even know about this site until after i purchased my dob. (i wish i had.) i bought the Celestron eyepiece kit, not knowing about the differences between the two different kinds. The views with my 12 inch dob were OK nothing spectacular, but i didn't know any different.

Then i discovered this website and found out about the "pony club boys".. so off i went to a meet.

Rick, had a 9m nagler, that he let me use in my scope, i was BLOWN away at the difference. I went out the next week and bought one. I never used the celestron eyepieces again.
It was the only one i used and i had spent roughly the same on it as i did on the kit. I don't use the filters and the eyepieces sit there now. Ive basically wasted my money on them.
The 9m nagler was the only eyepiece that i used until my other half got me the 13 ethos. Now that is my primary eyepiece but i still regularly use the nagler.
I would not recommend the celestron eyepieces to anyone other than someone who has a scope that wouldn't handle a powerful eyepiece.
If i had been to the pony club and used those eyepieces before my purchase it would have been clear.
If i knew what i know now then, i would have saved myself $300.
Then again some people would rather spend 300 on 5 or 6 average eyepieces than on something rinkydink.

This video thou does not help. there should be a comparison of the two eyepieces side by side showing things like FOV and clarity.
My best suggestion would be to go out and have a look through a few different eyepieces if your happy with the celestron get them if not don't.