View Single Post
Old 30-01-2017, 11:51 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Hi Nico,

There were several versions of Cam86 firmware.
1. Initial release (cooler off during frame reading)

2. The same as 1 but with cooler on during frame reading

3. cam86_firmware_prob2
"Add at the end of each line read adjustable delay. Delay increases the reading time frame for 2 seconds later."
This version came with a new cam86_view software that has a slider for adjustable delay.

4. cam86_firmware_prob3:
"The delay in each pixel. Casting Time of 3.8 seconds."

Firmwares 3 and 4 have been released as some people had horizontal and vertical lines in their images. The adjustable delays fixed problems for some.

I was unable to use the firmware 4. The downloaded firmware file was much smaller than the other firmwares and did not work at all after flashing.

Regarding camera capturing light when not exposing, this is something all? sensors do. If I remember correctly what Grim explained once, the charge accumulates in the sensor at all times. The firmware does some cleaning before exposure but this does not work completely. The only way to fully clean the sensor is to do a short bias exposure before a real frame, just like you are doing.
Another example of this is that we can see light signal in 0ms exposures.

This can be best fixed in the ASCOM driver and not in the firmware. There was some talk about this being done but I have not seen any ASCOM driver releases since the initial one.

I will have a look at the ASCOM driver...

Luka