View Single Post
Old 30-11-2014, 06:27 AM
peteradams
old hippie

Hi Alex, and thanks for your reply.

Yes, I'm familiar with this technique - been using it on my graphite astro sketches for over 15 years, but only recently started experimenting with "General's" brand chalk pencils and black craft paper (called 'construction' paper over here, no idea why). The results turned out ok, so I decided to get some better supplies - thanks for verifying that I bought the right stuff. Time will tell if the 'art' paper is better than the craft paper... the latter is definitely cheaper, and more easily available.

Already, I can tell that the pastels are much smoother to work with than the chalk pencils I'd been using. It's been mostly cloudy (and cold) lately and I haven't been able to get behind the eyepiece for a while, so I'll be practicing from photographs - or from some of your fine work, if that's ok. And yes, I'll post my results - warts and all, as they say.

I'm hoping the white-on-black method will be easier on the eyes while sketching at the eyepiece. Sometimes it was very difficult (a strain, really) to see how much graphite I'd 'painted' on the paper, but increasing the light's brightness would interfere with my night vision - so most of the time, nebulous objects turned out looking too intense. Hopefully working on black paper will help.