View Single Post
Old 31-07-2010, 08:31 PM
tonybarry (Tony)

Hello Robert,

I have not used a webcam much (but have played with a Meade LPI which is probably very similar).

I have also used a GStar-EX mono, and there is a huge difference between the two devices. The GStar is very acceptable, and at about AUD600 for the vanilla device (no filter holder etc) you get something that will not disappoint.

I really doubt a webcam will show you M1 from Sydney's light polluted skies in an 8" SCT at f/6.3 ... in near-real-time (2.56 sec / frame)

The GStar is quite able to do this.

I have found NGC6300 (mag 10.9) in near-real-time in my 8" SCT @ f/6.3 under Sydney skies. Stacking 400 images (unguided) produced a reasonable image that really encourages me to continue with my learning in this area.

For me it has been important to get some results fairly speedily. I use this as the way to decide whether to continue. If I had to get a big scope + polar mount set up, guided with a guidescope or off-axis guider, and a two-kilobuck+ camera (e.g. QHY8) to make my first image of a DSO ... I would never go there. It's too hard.

I also have a Meade DSI-c (the original edition) and I find its output to be much poorer than the GStar. Perhaps in the right hands it might be OK. But methinks my hands are not those hands.

Disclaimer:- I am not affiliated with MyAstroShop, and bought my GStar second-hand from an IceInSpace member. I have no financial interest in selling astro cameras.

Regards,
Tony Barry