View Single Post
Old 22-12-2015, 01:07 PM
rat156

Hi All,

I have always wondered why my images don't get a look in at the Malin's. So much so that I've given up entering.

I capture and process my images to my liking, clearly David believes that my treatment of many of the subjects disrespects the light. But, I have usually spent many hours capturing that feeble glow from the outer parts of various DSOs, then many more trying to pull it out from the background noise that is ever present when imaging from the city. I'll be buggered if I'm just going to let it fade back into blackness just to please a judge in a competition. If the image is not worthy of winning that's his judgement, but it's my image, my interpretation (they are all interpretations as none of us can actually "see" the image we create).

This is not "sour grapes" as Paul suggested, I congratulate everyone who seems to be able to please David and win a prize. My metrics for satisfaction are different to those that strive for recognition, I do it for the intrinsic enjoyment and underlying science behind each image. To ridicule anyone for striving for conformity, if that's what they want/like is equally ridiculous as ridiculing someone for processing their image the way they like it (which the above statements and even the underlying tone of "respecting the light" do).

So I'll continue to sharpen the hell out of my images, to the extent that people tell me to back it off a bit (then I'll usually agree and back it off a bit), continue to bring out the very faint whisps of outer parts of nebulae that people don't usually image, in essence continue to take and process images the way I like them, which coincidently is a lot like Andrew, with a mix of scientific value and esoteric pleasantness, but with probably a bit more emphasis on the science.

I'll also probably not bother entering the DM awards as the main judge and I have different opinions of what makes a good image. Will I become bitter and twisted by this? No, I'm already bitter and twisted, but that's just part of getting old. Do I gain enjoyment out of obtaining the data and portraying as I see fit, you betcha, and many others do as well.

Cheers
Stuart