View Single Post
Old 18-07-2017, 04:06 PM
Luca.C

Quote:
Originally Posted by m11 View Post
Hi Luca,

Welcome to an exciting hobby!

Sil, Malcolm and Patrick have provided excellent advice and recommendations in regards starting off.

I am still new into Astronomy but I an share my experiences starting off. I found that visual Astronomy is a better option for me starting off. Astrophotography can be frustrating to pick up without a decent understanding of the sky and scopes/guiding/alignment and the complications with additional cabling/power on top. I generally have limited time with family and work commitments - Astrophotography takes a lot of time to get right.

$1500 is a decent budget for a visual scope and you should be able to get 1-2 good eyepieces as well. Starting off you need to determine whether you want a manual or goto system. Starting off I found a goto system helped a lot but you need to learn some bright stars to align.

If I had to start off again, I would get a 8inch goto dob as the ideal compromise for portability and ease of use. Any 10inch scope SCT or Dob I have found starts getting heavy to carry unless you get wheels or a trolley.

Another thing is if the scope can be broken down and transported and if you have a partner in crime to observe with you . Having another person helps and its more fun to share the experience.

I have used my dob to do basic EAA which uses software to stack and stack short sec exposures.

Hope this helps.

Mel
Thanks Mel,

the 8 inch dob with goto seems a pretty good solution, only concern is the size of the scope that is going to be stored somewhere in my apartment - likely to be the living room unless I store it at my parents place.

Would a collapsible dob help?

I think I need to take some time to join the local astro society and have a better idea of weight and sizes.

Cheers,