View Single Post
Old 08-08-2018, 08:41 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I bought a simple RC plane for you young bloke for Christmas (Though mostly it is me flying it)

Mine does not have a camera on it though I did recently strap an action cam to it for a giggle. It does not land itself or circle or anything like that but it does have several flight modes and a "Panic" mode which provide more or less gyro assistance in use. Beginners mode severely limits roll and pitch to keep you largely out of trouble, intermediate gives you a fair amount of both (About 45 degrees on either axis I would guess) and advanced you are on your own. In all modes the panic button rolls it wings level and slightly nose up. The suggestion from the shop was that panic mode is useful for landing it, just bring the throttle down and hold down the panic button and it will cruise in gently, wings level and nose up. I don't bother with that any more and just use the beginners mode as panic mode does not really allow any turns.

The only time I have actually crashed the thing was due to it being in beginners mode, an unexpected gust of wind took it away from where I wanted it and the roll/pitch limits also mean a limited rate of turn and I (Gently) bopped it into a tree that I could not turn it away from. That was early days, now if I was in beginners mode I would flip it to a more advanced mode with one finger while trying to get it out of trouble with the rest. It survived more or less unscathed thankfully.

EDIT: The only thing that would be nice would cost a lot more, which would be aileron control, being a simple and cheap model there is no servo nor actual ailerons on the plane so it uses the rudder for roll control. It can mean rolling it wings level is a little slow and you have to be aware it will turn somewhat in the process.