View Single Post
Old 20-05-2018, 12:21 PM
DaveNZ (Dave)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Dave how much weight is hanging off the side of that top section? I get the impression from the GSO build that they are expecting folks to use a DSLR (non-modded, non-cooled), or something like an ASI1600 and filter wheel as its heaviest load.
I wonder if you were just doing manual focus and rotation with a light camera, would the scope design be ok?
Given Paul's experiences with GSO scopes, it seems that they do not test with these sort of imaging loads (or perhaps don't test at all). Do we need to accept that these are not Planewave category scopes, but basic designs built to a budget entry point with reasonable optics?
I agree there is a limited market for customisers to step in and take a basic scope and hotrod it. Sort of like Holden's HSV unit. Is the volume there to justify a business line for TS or others? Obviously, someone like Paul could become that customiser, if that excited him.

That leads to asking, if you have to invest to upgrade, why not just buy the high end scope in the first place? Or is it the challenge of making a stock budget production model into an HSV?
Good points Glen. Yes, I'm probably expecting too much from the price point.

Not sure off the top of my head of the combined weight of the Litecrawler and QSI683. I have solved the "weight issue" with the carbon fibre rods which was low cost. (rods from Ebay)

The real issue is the secondary. You would have the same issue I'm guessing with the original GSO focuser and a light weight camera. I was getting movement with my collimation laser with no camera attached and my lighter Moonlite focuser.

Cheers Dave