View Single Post
Old 13-04-2017, 04:59 PM
NinetySix (Ian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcheshire View Post
That's a good result Ian. Not too shabby at all. You may run into condensation or ice on the camera sensor below 5C. More than likely 0C and below.

The most significant advantage of cooling is temperature consistency, if you do need darks.

Darks are almost redundant below 5C. At 0 and below, they may add noise to your images.

I find (light - bias)/(flat - bias) is ideal for preprocessing cooled DSLR data 0 and below.

EDIT: Looking at the size of your fan, I would look for a more efficient heatsink / fan combo. The heatsink doesn't need to be big, just an effient design. The fan is off an old CPU Phenom cooler.

EDIT: Something like this will keep the sensor face free of H2O down to -10C. 5V. Adds to the heat losd by a few degrees. Most imaging requires only 60 - 80% of total performance for these systems... seldom need the full differential, which takes lots of time and energy.
Cheers mate

Yes I think the test today showed what a good efficient heatsink can do, smaller would definitely be good but so far I've been working almost entirely with salvaged, recycled and donated parts

I also need to sort out better temperature control, I'm using a $2.50 w1209 thermostat and it won't hold to set point within a degree.

I'm hoping to never open the camera again, the Phillips head are looking like hex sockets I had planned for the argon to take care of internal icing, but if that doesn't work out I might put a few wraps of kanthal wire from my ecig around the sensor, that's how I've been making dew heaters.

Cheers