View Single Post
Old 08-11-2019, 07:51 PM
RyanJones

Hi Martin,

I don’t/haven’t used in camera noise reduction but what I will say from my experience is that if you keep your sub length down slightly, at least to the point where you’re not getting amplifier noise etc and just take more subs, the noise level becomes much more manageable. If you considered the amount of extra time it would take to use in camera noise reduction and applied that to your capture tine, you’d find you’d be much less aggressive with your stretching and subsequently not amplifying the noise in post processing. I know every camera/setup/sky is different so I’m not telling you what will work but for me I found that 3min subs with a total of roughly 10hrs integration works pretty well for my images. That’s not to say my images are great or even noiseless but I will say that noise leveles aren’t concerning me in my current images. Bare in mind I use a dual NB filter so my integration time is significantly longer but I’m just using it as an example. I have taken up to 10min and more often 5 min subs with the same setup but I’ve found that the camera just doesn’t seem to like it and produces much better subs at 3mins.

I hope this helps

Cheers
Ryan