View Single Post
Old 07-01-2024, 10:50 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

It's a bit of a conundrum. A good cooled camera will give better pictures for the reasons you have stated. But also
-Qld. Hot camera more hot pixels.
- lower read noise, bigger full well capacity. So they will be better for nebulae, especially the dimmer ones (get enough nebula and no star saturation).
- You can make a set of calibration frames that will be good for months (except the flats). These are essential.
- astro cams connect easily to astro software for photography. I use Nina.

But if doing mostly OSC you could consider sticking with the astro modded D90 for a while (I don't know Nikon cameras though, so unsure how good it is). This might be the best option if you are just starting AP. How much AP have you tried with your cameras? Get all you can out of it. You will sooner or later realise the limitations, or maybe be really happy with what you get. I have an asi071 (duo filter for nebulae) that I use mostly but occasionally pull out my ancient canon 450d, especially if I'm away and want something more portable. The cooled camera is better, but the 450d is still fun!

I suppose one issue is that you might consider is a mono cooled camera if you are after nebulae. But they are even more expensive plus the cost of filters and filter wheel. So getting the most out of your current cameras might still be a good option. It is something I am considering myself as I am using an OSC astro cam with a duo filter - and it is limiting for nebs

But I'm sure there's a pile of different views. Be interesting to see what other say.

Last edited by ChrisV; 07-01-2024 at 11:16 AM.