View Single Post
Old 19-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Phil Hart

i have a QHY9 and a cooled 40D..

no question that QHY9 produces better end result, but for wide field imaging with Canon lenses it's very hard to beat the ease and convenience of cooled 40D operating off a programmable timer release. liveview focus, no laptops, no software, no drivers.. just reliable, enjoyable, easily transportable imaging.

the QHY performs well, but it has given me a lot more frustration than DSLRs, so it also depends whether you're chasing the best possible result or just want easy enjoyable imaging as a hobby.

one other factor that is very relevant to me at the moment, is that with widefield imaging you tend to work at fast f-ratios. the sensors in CCD cameras are not necessarily mounted with the critical accuracy required, whereas i've never came across this issue with sensors in DSLRs (used to see the effect on film a lot though). i believe the sensor in my QHY9 is tilted (within spec, but not good enough for working at f2.8) but plan to do some more serious testing and will report results later.

short answer is that cooled DSLR is the winner for me for widefield (except narrowband) imaging with camera lenses.

phil