View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 12:38 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

H alpha Newbie Questions

Hi all...
Last night saw first light with the Astronomik 12nm Ha EOS Clip filter on board - imaging under a 95% moon!
Dodgy focusing and variable cloud cover play played havoc with the session, but overall quite happy and keen to proceed with HaRGB imaging.

7x10 min subs, 280mm f5.6 iso1600 - pic is the red channel only.
http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k...Go-Low-Res.jpg

Wasn't too sure what to do when I saw all these dark red images on screen - guessed that all the relevant Ha data is in the red channel only!?

Question - how do others deal with Ha filtered images from a DSLR?
Channel split the RGB image and use the red channel or something else??

Happy to see no reflective light cone on image like that obtained with the Hutech LPS2 filter - that was my major concern.

Focusing and framing was a pain - could focus easily on bright stars via LiveView, but framing Eta was impossible with filter in place. Had to remove filter...frame Eta...replace filter...shoot.
This obviously lost the focus so had to take multiple test shots to find best focus - pic shows I wasn't 100% successful!!!

Eta's core is very burned out - wonder if I'll have to try shorter exps and a layer mask method. That surprised me as the FSQ Ha shot I obtained from GRAS 012 was rich in detail around the core. Also noticed that the Green and Blue channels were the ones that had detail on the Keyhole nebula (but they were discarded!!).

Noise looks likely to be an issue too!

Any ideas comments, advice, gratefully accepted.
Cheers
Doug