View Single Post
Old 05-11-2008, 07:31 PM
jungle11 (Greg)
The Dobslinger

howdy from jungle11 (noob)

Hi guys, i just signed up a few days ago and I'm looking forward to asking a multitude of questions over the next few months, as i have finally decided to get off my bum and join the ranks of amateur astronomy.
For years now ive logged onto the science daily astronomy section and have learnt alot of theory about things like black holes, DM, ect and yet last month a fellow asked when i told him about my "hobby" what constellation the 'saucepan' belonged to. I promptly told him the big dipper!
SHAME!! It's orion isn't it?
So enough with the pretending i thought, im buyin me a telescope and learning the night sky. When i was ten my olds brought me a scope from Toyworld. Crappy i know but i loved it - even though it wouldn't focus properly. But ever since then iv'e loved space - the size of it, wondering what's out there...blah blah.
OK, so here's my first question. Ive spent 2 weeks looking at scopes and ive got my heart set on a 12" inch dobsonian. (seems like a lot of people here feel the same) but I will need a collapsible as i just dont have enough room for a gargantuan scope. Im thinking on a SWFLEXIDOB 12
One shop i found is called andrews communication systems in NSW who list this scope at $999 (which is the cheapest ive found by quite a bit)
Yet telescope.com (NSW) list the same scope for $1950
Im just wondering how the price could differ so much?
any advice on where to shop would be helpfull as i don't really want to spend 2 months saving to get ripped off.

cheers