View Single Post
Old 16-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Paul1234 (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizgig View Post
Hi All, First post for me here I am a noob! I brought my wife a Telescope for a present and its a Newtonian 6" reflector on with EQ mount, I have a problem with it trying to set it up as both the RA and DE radials move by them selves and I was wondering if they are suposed to do that and if so how do I set them. I know how to set up the scope to the south -11 deg and set the alt to 38Deg for Geelong,Vic and that the scope is to be in line with the south leg of the tripod. But as the dials rotate what do I set them to to be inline with the pole so I can track objects and find them using cords?

Eugene.
Hi Eugene,
From one newbie to another.. I had this problem with a telescope my friends lent me, and this is what the manual says:

"The setting circles, R.A and Dec. of the telescope may be dialed, in effect, to read the object coordinates and the object found without resorting to visual location techniques. However, these setting circles may be used to advantage only if the telescope is first properly aligned with the North Celestial Pole."

i.e, those dials are to be used for taking readings and not for aligning.

I am quoting from the manual I found online.... it is a manual for Meade 114EQ telescope. Here is the link:
http://www.meade.com/manuals/Telesco...Q-DSmanual.pdf

Hope it helps,
Paul.

Last edited by Paul1234; 16-10-2008 at 04:38 PM.