View Single Post
Old 09-06-2014, 08:56 AM
The_Cat (Jeremy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Hi Jeremy, thanks for the kind words. Yes 21 kg is heavier than I would prefer, but over half of that is in the tripod plus the 8" extension which weighs a ton. On the flip side I get no image vibration when using the scope which was one of my main goals.

I hope you get to put an eyepiece in that beautiful AP130, don't let your camera have all the fun. I started with astronomy near you and still remember how dark and transparent the sky is in SA.
Greetings Alan,

Yes I have a couple of eyepieces to view stuff - a TMB 30mm one that works exceedingly well with refractors and some older Vixen ones that are surprisingly good. I mainly use the Dob for visual stuff.

Yes once upon a time we had dark skies but Adelaide and the Barossa Valley are catching up with us. Fast.

Weight is a big issue with me as I do not have an observatory so every time I want to image I have to "build" everything on the pier in the late afternoon then dismantle the setup when I've finished. Interestingly the whole telescope/mount load weighs in at about 70kg and is fixed to the pier with 3 3/8" grub screws!!

Jeremy.