View Single Post
Old 30-05-2010, 02:04 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerg View Post
I suppose the point for prospective buyers I'd emphasise from my "arms length" experience is that while the product often works great and the support is great, there is no denying it is, as you said, in the end of the complexity scale far from the simplicity of an eyepiece, and so is not necessarily the best choice for everyone I had the feeling from other posts in this thread that people are glossing over the work needed to setup, configure and problem-solve the system.

Thanks for your reply

Roger.
Hi Roger,

As Gary mentions and you acknowledge, the Argo Navis/Servocat system is at the upper end of the complexity scale. In this regard having some technoligical and basic to intermediate mechanical/electrical know how, helps enormously.

However, it should be pointed out that having the system installed by someone that knows what they are doing like Dave Kriege at Obsession Telescopes or Peter Read at SDM Telescopes, takes an enormous amount of pain out of the setup and configuration of the system. If you buy the system pre installed on your scope, you essentially point shoot and GOTO and track. If you buy the system "pre installed", all of the setup and configuration parameters are already pre loaded for each specific telescope installation. If you buy it from Peter Read at SDM and have him fit it for you, the system is tested and guaranteed to be working properly before you get the telescope back.

Not having the technical savy and trying to install it yourself, is a bit like a pastry cook trying to fit an exchange engine into his 1970 model Ferrari Daytona at his first attempt at an engine changeover. It isn't that hard if you know what you're doing. If you don't, it is exceedingly difficult at the first attempt without some technical know how.

Cheers,
John B