View Single Post
Old 03-02-2020, 10:30 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Good idea Marc. The current restrictions are for jpg sized files. As folks migrate to larger format camera sensors, file RAW sizes get pretty big, and thus reduction is needed to get them on Astrobin, and currently people just stick on links to off Astrobin hosts for full resolution viewing. I believe this has driven very experienced imagers to eschew Astrobin for other hosting arrangements, essentially Cloud based.
It is actually not quite the case, you can upload uncompressed .PNG images, which is what I generally do, I have put some pretty big ones up but the coming wave of full frame cams like the ASI6200 etc might stretch the friendship on file size to see if there is actually a limit coded on the server.

I am not sure if I will continue with it when my renewal rolls around, but I have found it to be a pretty handy resource for researching equipment combinations, you don't generally get that functionality out of generic cloud based storage.

If the fees go up, any increase needs to be reasonable unless Salvatore wants to add an example to the Photobucket effect where it went from free to exorbitant in one fell swoop and while they might have gotten a sugar hit of revenue from the really big users who were deeply into it for hosting for web stores and such and could not do without it in the short term, I am pretty sure they would reflect on it now as being when Photobucket jumped the shark. I am not sure that I see any parallels users wise where there are likely to be a core of Astrobin users who would initially at least pay whatever was demanded to keep access. If fees go up by noticeably more than an inflation like amount, I will reassess.

Last edited by The_bluester; 03-02-2020 at 10:45 AM.