View Single Post
Old 13-12-2019, 07:17 PM
alpal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Its just the megapixel race to get more resolution. Also marketing. 61mp must be better than 42mp right? And in many uses it may be, just not all. I doubt these CMOS sensors will challenge the older Kodak CCDs for now.

Sony has been doing a great job of increasing the number of megapixels and improving noise levels at the same time. But they seem to have run out of tweaks at this stage or the next set of tweaks is a bigger change. They do have some tricks up their sleeves for the next round of tweaks. Quad Bayer filters for one. Possibly organic films on sensors that have much greater dynamic range.

This 61mp sensor though seems to be the same architecture as the 42mp sensor and has 1 stop worse noise performance. You can see the noise levels in the DPReview studio comparison tool. Most users of the Sony A7Riv (that uses this sensor) seem happy with the noise performance but acknowledge its worse than the 42mp A7riii but autofocus and other improvements still make it worthwhile.

Smaller pixels as the overall size of the sensor usually is the same just more in the same area.

It should be interesting to see how Canon goes with their higher megapixel sensor as in the past when they put out a 50mp sensor it was simply noisier. But their latest mirrorless APSc M6ii sensor seems to have evolved.

Greg.

Hi Greg,

It makes me wonder whether the problems of the sensors are
far behind us and it really boils down to what lens you put in front of the sensor?
All the rest is just marketing.
I think a lot of the public are dupes thinking more pixels
equals a better picture.

cheers
Allan