View Single Post
Old 19-09-2014, 08:22 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.M View Post
Tonight I am taking some exposures, I will screenshot my graph for you and post an image.
Thanks mate, appreciate the effort :-)

Good news! I'm taking some 4 minute exposures of the helix nebula as I write this, and the stars are (mostly) round! Interestingly on one side of the frame they're consistently less round, but that's a topic for another day. Probably something not quite square I guess.

So, I followed Barry's advice to the letter but I still had a not-so-great looking chart. I ended up reducing the numbers significantly, now to 40% aggression, 15 hysteresis, 0.4 min move on RA and 0.5 on DEC, which reduced it somewhat but it's still looking pretty damned horrible.

One thing of note is that I managed to tweak the OAG until I got almost round stars in PHD2, which I've never been able to do before.

So I think Peter was on to something there. Even though the charts looked terrible that doesn't mean the results were... although sometimes they have been and now tonight, it's not.

The stars are still bouncing around, which I think is the real cause for the horrible chart, and I'm putting that down to seeing at the moment.

So now I should be able to grab a couple of hours of luminance on the helix before I have to pack it up and wait for the next clear night to get some RGB... which looks like it may not be coming soon judging by the BOM.

Thanks everyone for your help, I really appreciate it!