View Single Post
Old 03-11-2017, 09:48 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

yeah, so this is the view from my front yard:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4463/3...a8f088_c_d.jpg

filed a complaint with Ipswich council, took them 5 weeks to respond, and the response was basically a big FU tough luck. The so called "engineer" said that everything was within spec. Probably didn't get off his ass to come and actually inspect it at night. Waiting for my lux meter to arrive so that I can prove that the lighting is higher than the 1 lumen per square meter that they're allowed (rough calculations using a EV meter on my iPhone and an online EV/Lux/Lumens calculator) show that it's actually around 3 lumens per square meter - over the legal specs.

I was far from impressed with Ipswich council. Useless as tits on a bull and more interested in business than actually serving their constituents.

Their BS is that they must light the sidewalk and streets sufficiently for cars and pedestrians. Wow. Piss poor argument considering most of the streets in my area are far less lit than my very small cul de sac, which has SFA foot and car traffic too I might add. I find it amusing, since if I drive to Springfield Lakes from Ipswich, the highway has practically NO LIGHTING. Which makes what the engineer told me absolute BS.

Impressed Dave is not.

I knew I should have kept my .22 rifle.

edit: spoke with one of my neighbours 2 nights ago in a general catch up chat, and talked to her about it and she was dismayed. You basically cannot see any but the mag 1 stars in the southern skies from my location, the LP is THAT BAD. She was rather sympathetic to my complaint, so may feel the other neighbours out and see if I can get a group petition going to remove the offending light, or shield it much better. I'm friendly with 2 of the 5 neighbours, on talking terms with a 3rd, the 4th has just sold their place and the 5th I don't really know.