View Single Post
Old 23-03-2016, 03:43 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink138 View Post
oops sorry paul and erik just seen your replies
i set up my rig again to see what was happening and it is deffinately the 9 pin power cable, it is all sloppy and loose and there seems to be a fair bit of lateral movement and the image disappears from the screen
i do not know whether or not to take the back plate off (not the chamber of course) and have a look at the socket or send it to qhy, or if it is just needs a new cable?
the other terminal and socket fits so securely it is hard to disconnect but the 9 pin is ****house for some reason!
pat
Hi Pat,
you're not alone in having this problem. When I checked my cable recently, I found that one of the pins had broken off one end of the cable. I was getting image artifacts and generally erratic behavior and that's what prompted the inspection.

Since my QHY10 was then only 7 pr 8 months old and had done no work for the past 6 of those months (because of the lousy weather), I contacted the Australian seller and suggested this was a warranty issue. He disagreed, saying there must have been improper use of the cable and this produced bending and breaking of the pin - and that in any case, QHY would be very unlikely to accept it as a warranty issue - even if you were willing to waste the time an cost involved. He told me he had had this issue before with the same result.

So I was between a rock and a hard place - as I am guessing you will be - and forked up the $40 cost of a new cable.

In doing so grudgingly, I told the seller I thought this would come under our Sale of Goods legislation under the "fitness - for - purpose " provisions because this was a defect in materials or workmanship. Needless to say, he didn't agree.

But the number of people with exactly this same problem suggests to me that QHY have a quality control issue with these cable and ought to fix defective cables under warranty instead of instantly accusing the user of having misused or abused the product.

I have vowed that this is the last QHY product I will buy.

Peter