View Single Post
Old 27-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Ian Cooper

Hi Colin,

when I compare your two consecutive wide shots I am convinced that the latest one shows the end of the tail overlaying the Milkyway background just above and to the right of Epsilon Centauri. As mentioned by Terry earlier, John Drummond took a picutre of just the end of the tail in order to better gauge where it ends. That was my main reason for asking if you had any close-up shots.

Southern 40's shots just stop at the point I am referring to, so that makes it a bit trickier to determine things.

I agree with Terry. It seems that these Kreutz family members can follow a set of possible scenarios or a variation of them. Some of the photos taken since the beginning of last week, and kindly displayed on this excellent forum, show this comet has many features seen in the most famous Kreutz members, like the shrouds around 1882 Sept., and the spiralling plumes travelling up the tail a la Ikeya-Seki.

The thing that I like a lot about observing Great Comets at their best is the tangible connection with our ancestors who, without the distractions of modern life, were more in awe of these itinerant visitors than many are today. That is not to say that modern people don't care. The impromptu crowds that gathered to witness McNaught, and who have also dragged themselves from a comfortable bed this time are testimony to that.

Cheers

Coops