View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraz View Post
hi Lee. Seeing has been very variable here as well - last night started out at a bit under 3 and ended up over 5 arsec FWHM (ugly). Your graph looks like the sort of excursions I get in bad seeing. As far as I can tell, there is nothing much to do but put in the Ha filter or bin it 2x2 and get some low res colour on something that you might get good lum results on later. With your very low noise camera, you could also possibly try running some very short subs (eg 20 seconds) on something bright and see if that helps
I had some up to 5 too.... I think I packed up then!
The main problem was my PHD settings chasing it, then backlash catching up, so big correction, then rinse/repeat so it oscillated away....

My AF routine would normally report a HFR value of 1.5-1.8 or so at critical focus, last night more like 2.3-2.5 (10s exposures).

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
i noticed antares was flickering so badly to the west last night that it was almost disappearing and the scintillation was extreme. but looking at the graph suggests to me something is also not right with the drift alignment on the mount as well?
Yes - I need to adjust azimuth.... previously I've been pretty happy just letting PHD guide it out, this amount has never caused field rotation over an hour or more... I'm planning to tighten it up.