Thread: Nikon D90
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 11:22 AM
Moon (James)
This sentence is false

Look out for 2 minute experts!

I used SHMBO's Nikon D50 for a while when I started out. The "star eating" story is way over blown by the so called "2 minute experts" who frequent astronomy forums who own a Canon and never in fact used a Nikon for Astro work.

I'm not sure about the features of the D90, but the D50 did have some serious limitations:
1. Lots of "amp glow" / "Dark current" at the top left for exposures over about 4 minutes. Not sure what the correct term for it is, but it was annoying.
2. No way to take exposures over 30 seconds controlled from your laptop. Need to use a infrared remote - what a pain.
3. No live view.
4. Difficult to find a really high quality/robust/tight T-Ring adaptor
5. Ongoing complaints from SHMBO that I left the camera in RAW or MANUAL mode.

Now I have my own Canon 500D and it's perfect for Astro work and reasonably priced. The software that comes with it is really well designed and put together.

I've always owned Nikons in the past and this is my first Canon. For daytime use they are both great. For astro work Canons have the best 'package' and support.

By all means have a play with the Nikon to get started, but after a while you will need to move on to a Canon or CCD.

James