View Single Post
Old 30-01-2020, 10:21 PM
Xeteth (David)

New APS-H camera - M42 vs M48 tube size

I've should receive my new camera tomorrow which is a QHY16200a APS-H, with 2" LRGBHSO filters and I'm wondering about tube size and vignetting. I've tried searching for answers but have come up short so I'm wondering if someone could share some advice.

The attached picture has my current setup with my existing QHY8-Pro - the field flattener is M48 on the telescope side and M42 on the camera side. I've been having issues with both image tilt and severe vignetting which I want to eliminate. To address the tilt I've ordered an adapter for the focuser which will mean I can thread my camera on instead of clamping. But for the vignetting, I'm wondering if the M42 tube is too small for the sensor?

The QHY16200a is an even bigger chip than the QHY8-Pro and hence I'm wondering if I should be investing in a field flattener that is M48 both ends? Would an M42 thread be big enough to illuminate an APS-H sized chip?

If so, can anyone recommend a field flattener that would be appropriate? Any suggestions would be much appreciated, cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_20200130_220058.jpg)
194.7 KB23 views