View Single Post
Old 10-06-2019, 10:32 PM
Hemi

Hi All,

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions.

The optics cleaned up nicely:

The optics with a mix of Demin. water water, Isopropyl Alcohol, windex and dish soap. The mirror got a second wash with Isopropyl alcohol, and then a rinse with demin. water.

The Alu tube: Sanded down with 1200, 800, 400 grit Sand paper, washed dried and sprayed with a flat black anti corrosion enamel from bunnings.

The baffle was cleaned up and then regreased with Inox M6 from Jay car.

The OTA has been put back together, and a brief test tonight seems to indicate the mechanics are all in order. I am amazed how well the optics have held alignment and collimation. The moon is up (50% waxing) and the seeing is terrible so will leave star testing and collimation for another night.

I will sleep happy.

Thanks to everyone who helped and advised, its been an amazing journey. Most of my research came from multiple sources on the web, and the members of cloudy were also fantastic. Ive learnt a hell of a lot about my scope, and it was a thoroughly enjoyable (exciting and nerve racking, highs and lows) process.

I will build some sort of observatory eventually, as I can't see myself tearing down and setting up each time. The TG365 cover did work well though for 3 years.

Corrosion free optics!

Hemi