View Single Post
Old 25-06-2015, 01:29 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Narrowband newb Qs...

Folks,

Given the dark site time we seem to have had this year has been punctuated with clouds, I'm considering trying to make use of my gear on other clear nights of the month. This got me thinking about narrowband and I figure if I can get a few more nights of imaging done for minimal investment then I'm happy

I've just moved house and in the new place I've got a different aspect than I had before and I can pretty easily see the fifth star in Crux, if that gives any indication of the light pollution situation. It's an improvement over the last location

H-alpha seems to be the obvious choice to go for. I'll be using my modded Canon 1100D which seems to have quite a nice response at the red end. I also already own a Lumicon OIII for visual in a 2" thread (assuming this is OK?)

So....
  1. what FWHM should I aim for?
  2. what about S-II?
  3. what form factor would I be best to invest in?
The reducer for my trusty Zenithstar 71mm is threaded to accept a 2" filter, but what if I want to increase focal length one day and use my Edge 8? Will it be futile trying to do any narrowband imaging at f/7 or f/10, in which case I should just get the 2" to use with my refractor, or is there a solution that lets me sneak a filter somehow into the backfocus of the Edge 8?

I've seen Astronomik sell clip-in filters for Canon EOS which would seem to solve the problem, but that binds the investment to Canon

Sorry for lots of questions, it's a new adventure...any comments, suggestions, etc, all appreciated