View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 11:19 AM
JohnF (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
OK...back to work.
This morning at day break I got back into it..
Rounding stuff up last night I decided to paint all the exposed pine that I had to use...had to only because it was available and I had no similar hardwood..after using hardwood pine seems so pathetic...still doing the roof in hardwood ?..a real challenge.

Alex
Alex ned time a storm comes through and knock down trees, you will be able to find hardwood if you do have a chainsaw. Lost muffler on mine, but it should turn up. Son gave it to me missing the Muffler bolts, who my son moved out of home. Recently purchased a ALI Whipper Snipper/Brush cutter with a Pole saw attachment, Cuts through 5 inch limbs -- dead sally wattle, haven't tried bigger yet.

Quote:
Sorry there is not more to report and I suppose from now on it will be just small things like painting adding a better door maybe a motorised roof...And building the pier for the 80 mm might be fun if I can't get a welder and have to make the connector fitting in fibre glass..well not fibre glass but resin and stainless steel dish washers...
Alex
Saw a 140 Amp older for only $30 about a week ago. Was tempted myself, but think I want more power. A year ago sold my 230 AMP Tradesman Welder -- took up too much room.

Quote:
Oh how I would love a 280 lb anvil.

I have decided to take the tree down like in the Lord of the Rings, well not entirely but pull it down rather than cut it..I reckon if I dig a hole in the direction it is to fall, add water, tie some ropes under tension it will eventually fall over. Anyways that has started, about two hours ago...so any month now.

Alex
Have made myself an Anvil at TAFE a 12 years ago from a section of Railway track, which they supplied to the whole class -- enrolled in a full-time Welding course my son was doing to help make up the numbers. If not enough students they can cancel the Class. My son was doing that class.

Certainly not as good as a big commercial anvil, but better than nothing.

As far as dropping a tree. We had a Sally wattle that threatened to fall on an old Range Rover I am doing up. Had found a couple of big Ratchet Straps that a Semi Trailer had lost, along the side of the road. So used these to tie the tree back towards another tree, After a few months as the bottom rotted out, used those to pull that tree down.

Quote:
Termites are abundant. They will eat most everything...books clothes furniture ...anything that is stationary really. Not steel of course.
They will win so no point in thinking you have a chance really...I will make the floor as good as I can to hold them out so they have to come out in the open to get to anything but they will come thru cement ..I may lay some termie mesh if I can find any...maybe sit the box on iron sheet so they have to come out to get to the timber ... I bury pine around the place to monitor if they are near...they dont like movement I think..I had a door that survived for years but when I left that house empty for six months they ate it thru. I should be able to see them arrive and that is the key ... disturb them as much as possible... they can eat the hardwood it could be eaten out and is still very strong ..the pine is a different matter but if they get to it I will fibre glass it and they can eat the lot☺ ... Also there are three different ant nests around the van and ants will have termites for breakfast...but there is so much wood on the ground past the clearing one hopes they may leave me and alone....maybe pour that diesel I drained from the sunken boat on the ground ...I am not sure if that could work.
Anyways being realistic by the time it all falls down I will be in old age care or dead...I can build faster than they can eat☺
Alex
If you can ever find Blind snakes -- they look like large Earthworms, they love eating termites. Put them into the Termite nest.

Last edited by RB; 13-10-2019 at 02:14 PM.