View Single Post
Old 18-02-2009, 10:39 AM
rally

Bojan,

I am sure they will be relatively expensive to start with - new technology always is.

But they claim its all based on 3-5volt technology (not 100v)

Apparently its been tested on a number of US CMOS based manufacturers equipment and is immediately translatable to conventional CMOS silicon manufacturing processes and therefore a cheap to manufacture product.

They also say its a new process never before before observed that was accidentally discovered - no doubt there is possibly some sort of cascade process going on and they equate the effects to avalanche diodes but draw the distinction, its not the same as the 100v process.
They say its the high concentration sulphur doped surface that does the trick - but it appears they don't know just exactly how it works.

Its all there on the website to read.
This has little bit more info
http://www.sionyx.com/mslns/Photodetectors.pdf

The fact that the performance (according to them) of a 1uM pixel is equivalent to a 36uM pixel and that its cheap to manufacture and that its low noise would indicate to me that we will see it in terrestrial cameras too - even if its high end cameras.

Since 1um pixel cameras already exist - IF what they say is true, (could be a big IF !) we will likely see such devices very soon.

Can you imagine a 864mp 35mm CCD device with lower noise and higher sensitivity than any existing DSLR sensor !
And for astro its got a much wider spectral response too !

I am happy to contemplate such a thing, but I wont necessarily be getting my hopes too high.

Cheers