View Single Post
Old 04-10-2018, 09:46 AM
PRejto (Peter)

Trifid M20 (First Light SX-46)

After months of struggling with this new camera finally the host of issues are resolved. The camera is rock solid now but the process took 4 mother board revisions, a linear external power supply, and resolution of an incompatibility with the Mount Hub Pro-compact due to a grounding issue. In any case I guess this is what one gets as an early adopter. Anyone contemplating the camera can be sure that it works as advertised (now) but beware that you need a very clean power supply (my switching supplies would not operate the camera) and the USB is very sensitive to cooling demands and will try to draw power however it may. The MHP-c grounds in a normal way but the SX-46 does not like this (my Moravian camera had no issue, but the power current requirements are a lot less). I now use the MHP-c to power an external relay to control the camera. This solved the grounding issue. Images are quite clean and download rapidly.

EDIT: I have been remiss in forgetting to mention that my equipment is located at Heaven's Mirror Observatory in Yass. Martin Pugh has been an invaluable asset in helping me with numerous technical issues both optical and with the SX-46!

This is a straight RGB image of about 3 hours each channel. (TEC180FL + flattener) I could find no benefit from the luminance I captured. I probably could benefit from more blue. The Astronomik DeepSky filters capture about 30% less light than the older blue Astronomic Type 2c filters I'm more used to in my previous camera.

This is a tough object to stretch. After many failed attempts I finally got the masked stretch in Pix to operate without making crazy looking stars. I finished the stretch with the HT tool. I wish I could have gotten more blue into the fainter regions.....

Full version is on Astrobin which for some reason changes the feel of the image in a way I don't appreciate. In Pix and Photoshop there is more "warmth." I uploaded a full resolution png; the initial result looks too black in background and background star colour too flat. The 2nd version I uploaded is better but still lacking compared to what I see on my monitor before uploading. Does anyone else have this issue with Astrobin?

Thanks for looking!

New version: https://www.astrobin.com/full/369759/G/

original: https://www.astrobin.com/full/369759/0/
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (15B. small CS-5 adj.jpg)
184.8 KB30 views

Last edited by PRejto; 12-10-2018 at 07:27 PM.