View Single Post
Old 16-08-2019, 01:21 PM
JA

Nice pickup OIC.

As for the adapter, you've probably already searched and gathered that they're the wrong way around for your use. You need
Female Minolta A Bayonet to an M42x0.75 MALE thread to screw in to the QHY10's M42x0.75 FEMALE thread.

The flange focal distance for a Minolta A mount/ Sony A is supposed to be 44.5mm and the QHY10's sensor is set back 20mm from the front (although from exactly where isn't clear in any diagrams I could find). Take it as the front surface where the M42x0.75 FEMALE thread starts.

Using those "FACTS" (???) you could use an M42 focusing helicoid of appropriate length and some how attach a Minolta female bayonet to its front surface. You probably could use an M42 to M52 focusing helicoid to reduce chances of vignetting and providing space for the female bayonet mount, which you could obtain from a Minolta A mount photographic extension tube. A bit of skill and join the two and hey presto done for probably $80 or less, with the added advantage that since you've used a focusing helicoid instead of fixed extensions, then you can fine tune the distance.

It certainly would be an easy-ish way to get a look at your camera on the new lens, which brings me to the easiest way, but you need a machinist friend or skill: A cylindrical collar that neatly, snuggly and with minimal play slips over the outer body of the camera on one end and the circa 70mm cylindrical lens body at the other end. Boring/machining it on a lathe will provide enough concentricity for the purposes of a lens test.

I will post an couple of images to clarify later.

For the helicoid focuser shown in the first image below the link is: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brass-M5...wAAOSw1QpaBZGl
This is probably the correct adjustment range (25 to 55mm in length) to use (although longer is available) and it uses a brass helicoid rather than aluminium which has a tendency to sometimes stick.

SO it connects directly to your camera at one end (VERIFY: helicoid is actually M42 x 0.75PITCH) and at the larger (M52) end screw or somehow attach a Minolta Female A mount bayonet from a photographic extension tube of the type shown in the 2nd attached image. You could remove the bayonet flange and screw it to the face of the large (M52) end of the focusing helicoid or "jimmy" something up.

I hope it works out one way or another. Of course if you had a CaNikon then QHY already make said adapters.

Best
JA
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M42 to M52 Helicoid Focuser.jpg)
126.8 KB23 views
Click for full-size image (Minolta-Sony A Mount Extension Tube.jpg)
56.9 KB26 views

Last edited by JA; 16-08-2019 at 01:56 PM.