View Single Post
Old 28-04-2020, 06:55 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Thanks again JA

All very useful information...

Just to clarify, I'm shooting in RAW with as much turned off in the camera as possible.

I did some earlier shots at only 13 sec @ ISO 800 which I stacked in both DSS (just to see what happened) & also in Affinity Photo. As these were pretty short exposures, the stacking wasn't as effective as it might have been plus, due to the movement of the stars over the range of shots, the foreground then came up somewhat fuzzy... I do have Sequator but, as yet, I haven't explored it.

The latest round shot at far higher ISO's & much longer exposures are also shot in Raw, I think I've probably just been a bit heavy handed when trying to process resulting in a somewhat overstretched histogram & an image result that just doesn't look good (can't think how else to put it sorry). I think I just need to be a bit more subtle with the sliders & spend a bit more time closely examining each step's results before moving on to other processing options.

I assume with the ETTR method you've discussed we are looking predominantly at the exposure level in post processing to 'move' the histogram to the right & then look at things such as contrast & brightness, black levels, etc...

All being shot on a fixed tripod at this stage & very much just beginnning to experiment. My skies to the east are somewhat darker as we back onto a reserve & the inlet is in that direction, hence less sky glow... might focus on that area as well to see what pops out in slightly darker skies...

Fortunately, dark skies aren't very far away here in Cairns... about 10 minutes down the road & I can get away from most of the light.. just hasn't been so much of an option with the current crop of restrictions in place but, they are about to eased so, popping down the road becomes an option again.

As you suggest, I'll keep experimenting for a bit, I love the FOV the Samyang gives, even if it is only on a crop sensor... it's unbelievably wide.. I have a 50mm f1.8 available too so, might give that a run... the whole thing largely acts as something fun to do when I don't feel like setting up a full on imaging rig or even a visual scope.. I'm mesmerised by some of the really widefield images I've seen on here & other sites, keen to see what I can produce for myself..

Might keep my money in my pocket for now...

Cheers

Last edited by Outcast; 28-04-2020 at 10:30 PM.