View Single Post
Old 15-10-2017, 10:05 AM
LightningNZ (Cam)

DSS is good software. It works and thousands of astrophotographers (including myself) use it to take some very respectable photos. Another option is Iris, which is older and clunkier but but much more powerful. It won't be any better at handling DNG files though.

If you haven't already, see if there are windows drivers for your camera. In the past I've downloaded these for my Canon and Nikon cameras and they will let windows preview your RAW files - and perhaps the DNGs as well (Pentax have their own proprietary format RAW as well as DNG, so I don't know what their drivers - if they have them - will support).

If you need to convert file formats, stick to 16-bit TIFF. If you need any other help, just ask. Ignore the jerks who try to use this hobby a way to show off their latest d!ck extension. Everything I have is second hand, I've had to scrimp and save, and so is the software (aside from StarTools which I recently purchased). I take pictures I'm pretty happy with, and others who I share them with online are too.

Cheers,
Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyh1555 View Post
Thanks Cam, I will try to download 3.3.4
Regarding another post here, I expected some more pleasant help such as what file extension to convert to, or positive help as to where to find out how to run it - NOT a lecture on arithmetic and what to expect from "Low end" "free" software. I notice that most people who post on this forum use "free" software, so, to make disparaging remarks about it and to infer it is basically useless (and to be "thankful" it will do anything) is not, in my opinion, appropriate on this forum.
BTW, my Pentax KP cost $1400 - that's not cheap, and Pentax use .DNG files developed by Adobe. That's not a freeware company either.