View Single Post
Old 15-10-2018, 04:55 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I too agree that Armstrong’s character was way too numb
All the archival footage and photographs of Neil both in mufty and in his space suit showed the viewer that he did have a sense of humour and did smile a lot even though he probably was aware he was being filmed or photographed
He was a no nonsense kinda guy but I’m sure he let his hair down too.
The movie started when he was flying the X15 as a test pilot around 30 years of age and finished when he was in quarantine at 38 years of age ( only 8 years of his life ) They could have included 10 or 15 minutes of his early life to show his grass roots and where he came from. The book was the real deal from birth to 2002.
Another annoying thing they do with movies , particularly American movies is they way over dramatise scenes.All the flight scenes showed Armstrong and during Gemini and Apollo he and the crew having the living daylights shaken out of them for an eternity. From all the autobiographies I have read on the Apollo missions they did shake during lift off and staging but not to that extent where you would probably have broken your neck in 3 places, had a cerebral hemorage and become a redundant passenger

My 2 cents worth .......