View Single Post
Old 11-04-2024, 12:13 PM
Drac0 (Mark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafuego View Post
I also managed to catch Leonard between xmas and new year a few years back; I went to friends bush block overnight for that, so the horizons were as dark as they could be.

The nice thing about a comet like that is you will get nice details no matter the focal length. I shot at 2000mm (10s), 200mm (30s) and 70mm (10s). The telescope shot is using an ASI294MC and the other two are an unmodified Nikon D750 on a simple (badly aligned) tracker.
Thanks Peter,

I think I will probably just start with something like a 100mm lens & work to longer as I get a real idea of how it comes out & it gets a little dimmer. Luckily I do have some nice dark locations not too far away - comets early, DSO later.

Then I'll have time to hopefully chase some of the MAG 10+ ones in the coming months. These brighter ones are always near the horizon at sunrise/sunset so looking at probably only 40 mins to 60 mins imaging time at most on any particular night. Can get the dimmer ones much higher in the sky but will require more time as well.

Nice captures too, thanks for the input.

Cheers,
Mark