View Single Post
Old 17-10-2020, 12:33 PM
Robert_T
aiming for 2nd Halley's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Just an observation and recommendation,
Looking at the curves on this camera when using Unity Gain your only getting up to 18,000e in the pixel well which has a maximum well depth of 48,600e so your dynamic range is limited at the expense of a lower read noise of 0.7e rms which isn’t a big saving
Unity gain is fine but give the camera a chance to show its wears and give Highest Dynamic Range ( Gain 0 ) a go, you will probably extract more detail especially on the longer exposures and objects with nebulosity
I found this with my 2600MC , HDR is the best setting for all objects and Sky glow , I image from Bortle 8 and Bortle 3
As far as cooling goes the dark current doesn’t improve much on the 071MC when you cool lower than -5C so that’s the optimum cooling setting. My 2600MC has a massive reduction in dark current from -5C down to -20c +
thanks Martin great advice. And I was thinking of trying Gain 0 when I start on the Orion Nebula as the extra DR will come in handy there. Funny a lot of folk seem to use much higher gains (150 and 200 being common) with this camera from what I'm reading... I tried some 150 but found the image noise objectionable and it doesn't really give much read noise benefit. And yes I agree sweet spot for the 071 seems to be -5deg which is where I'll building up my darks library around...makes things simple as it's a temp I should be able to reach all year round even in a Brisbane summer :-)