View Single Post
Old 19-07-2020, 02:59 AM
ngcles
The Observologist

Take a photo!

Hi All,

One way to fairly accurately estimate your dilated pupil is, sit in a pitch-black room for about 20 minutes then have someone (or yourself with a cable release) take a fairly close (<50cm) flash-photo while you're holding up a ruler (for scale) very close to your eye. Must make sure the camera is focused manually before you start and that there are no "pre-flashes" -- just the one flash. You're eye won't react quickly enough to constrict before the single flash has been and gone.

I once did this many, many years ago (back in the late '80s) with a 35mm SLR film camera and found I was about 6-6.5mm. It took me about a ten goes before I managed a pic in excellent focus with appropriate illumination. The lab technician who developed the film must have been scratching his/her head, wondering the hell I was trying to achieve!

After my eye operations last year, I asked the technician who did testing afterward to measure them (under the effects of drops) and they were 6.1mm. This of course was an artificially induced dilation, but probably pretty close to real.

Best,

L.