View Single Post
Old 12-08-2017, 05:18 PM
Melongeed (Australia)

Frustrated with the HEQ5

Hey all,
I have this same post in another forum so I will copy and past since I haven't found an answer yet.

Having some serious difficulties using the HEQ5 Pro mount at the moment, I have a synscan handset v3. I also have the skywatcher 120ed.

I started using my scope again and it's suddenly turning me away from it again, I dont know if I have an issue or there is something wrong with the mount. However when I try to do a 2 star allignment, I select the star of Hadar. Very bright star far up in the sky, then it proceeds to give me stars that are below my FOV or ones that are not very bright and hard to distinguish. But I can get that done.

I just want to run through my steps with my HEQ5 Pro setup.

Very frustrated with aligning Southern Hemisphere. These is my lat and long. Find me, I don't mind. Just if you visit don't be a murderer please.
Latitude
Longitude

1. Setup tripod - Face the tripod with the N towards true south and make sure it's level

2. Sit HEQ5 head ontop and tighten it up place scope and weight and proceed to balance the scope

3. I've set my latitude axis to "34" see above image to where I am. I don't think I can set it to -34 so I assume it'd be this.

4. (tricky part) Place scope in home position I haven't found many things on where the home position is for the southern hemisphere
Very frustrated with aligning Southern Hemisphere-20170811_211652.jpg I assume this is it, scope pointed south weight down bottom.

5. I turn on my scope and put in my thingys in:
Very frustrated with aligning Southern Hemisphere-untitled-3.jpg and set my elevation to +62m
142° 07'E
34°16' S
I enter correct date and time format +10gmt and daylight savings set to off

6. Then proceed to do a 2 star align. First star select points the scope no where near the star (same area roughly) 2nd star to align also puts the scope no where near the star. I align that as well.

7. Time to test, tell the scope to find Jupiter zoom goes straight passed it. I use the "re-center" button by holding esc to center Jupiter and try to find it again goes back to the original place.

I'm really stumped people. I got my scope outside at the moment and no idea what I am doing wrong. Please advise me. Either the mount is silly or I am silly, probably the latter.

I even do a 1 star alignment and it's still doesn't work.

I recently updated my handset to the latest firmware, wondering if there is any settings I need to set on it.

Cheers,
Fraser
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Untitled-3.jpg)
156.2 KB47 views
Click for full-size image (Screenshot_4.jpg)
11.7 KB40 views
Click for full-size image (20170811_211652.jpg)
209.8 KB53 views