View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 06:14 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Aligning the mirrors on Dobsonian from scratch

Hi, I have a bit of an issue i think with my 10 inch Skywatcher Dobsonian
It all started last weekend when i went out to have a look at Jupiter.
All i got was a blured orange image.
First of thought it was bad seeing conditions and the like.
But the next night i left the scope inside and out of curiosity, tried looking at Jupiter through the window and a bit later at night when it was higher in the sky, same result, blured orange image.

So i came back to collimation, I collimate it most times before i take it out using a laser, ( also checked that laser was collimated )
Adjusted secondary until red dot was in the middle of the circle on the primary mirror, then adjusted primary mirror until red dot was centre of laser tool.

Results were the same, maybe slightly better, but definitely couldn't tell it was Jupiter i was looking at.

So many days of research and failing attempts to sort this out, i have decided that something has gone wrong with my adjustments.

I desperation i have lessened the centre bolt and secondary mirror has swung around, so figured might as well keep going now and removed secondary to see how the mounting system works.

It is simple enough, but now not sure about reinstalling,
How far out should those 3 screw be from flush, as flush will give you no adjustment as i soon found out.
And also squaring up the secondary.

I am holding back from doing anything with the primary yet, but is there a factory sort of setting to wind the crews back to?
I am just thinking that the primary could also be way out of alignment, or do i not worry about the primary, just align the secondary up with the centre of the primary first?

I hope all that makes sense, I realise i might of gone a tad far by removing the secondary, but in one good way at least if i can get it working again it will teach me a lot in collimation.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Peter.