View Single Post
Old 17-08-2009, 09:20 AM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellx View Post
I only use the one star to actually check the alignment. Normally one about 45degrees up in the east. So two would be better!!? I will give it another go tonight.

But just to clarify one point. In the picture I attached, the two minute long exposure drift I did resulted in a very close lineup of the west then east lines. (Not perfect, but pretty damn close.) So I thought my alignment must have been very good. But then I still seemed to get a fair amount of drift on the dec axis, as indicated by the two shots of the same star 30minutes apart. I wouldn't have thought that would happen.

I will see what happens tonight.
Thanks
Darrell
Hi Darrell, before I start this rather largish comment, my apologies in advance if I'm intruding on this thread, but my comments and questions also refer to drift alignment of an EQ6, so rather than start another thread..... Please let me know if I should.

I have also just finished a week of learning to drift align my EQ6 in Brisbane, where the night skies have been clear for some time. Like Darrell, for simplicity I decided to just use one star, basically in Crux, as they're bright and in a convenient direction for the scope.

I use a SP900NC webcam on my ED100 with wxAstrocapture, which has a screen reticule. Each night, I spent about two hours adjusting and checking. I've got alignment down now to minimal drift (zero?) for at least 10 minutes. Attached is a pic of general Milky Way area at/near Zenith last night, 6 min exposure with EOS 1000d just for alignment drift check.

Would you be so kind as to comment on whether you think the stars are adequately rounded for that length of unguided exposure. I'm just a newbie and have no idea if they're acceptable. It's actually my first star photo. Up until now it's been planets and moon.

My post is to comment on the confusion factor as mentioned by James. I had it in large doses, especially when coming back the next night to continue the alignment checks.

James' simplified two-star description seems very easy for me to remember, most other two star descriptions left me a bit confused, so I'd like to thank James and I'll also test it tonight.

BTW, on a slightly seperate subject, it was really nice to finally be able to sit inside the house and control CDC, EQMOD, the mount and camera all with confidence, using Remote Desktop. That also was just a trial
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Milky way ED100 1000d 6 mins 2009_08_16_1016.jpg)
169.8 KB42 views

Last edited by mldee; 17-08-2009 at 09:21 AM. Reason: spelling errors