View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 09:01 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourkind View Post
Hi Angus,

I recently bought an Astronomic CLS filter for my 60d. The sales person told me not to bother pointing it at Globular Clusters or stars as the colours will be out of whack. It should only be used on emmisions nebulae etc.

I've also wondered wheather I could use it to point at Galaxies but I think not as it will cut out too much light.

Here are my results of the Tarantula with (red nebulae) and without (blue nebulae) the CLS filter. Both were taken from my balcony in Carlton under heavy light pollution.

Post processing was a little painful because everything came out RED RED RED, I was suprised and a little disapointed but others said that my results were good, so it beats me
A CLS certainly makes emmision nebula stand out cos they get lost in the red lp glare otherwise. It doesn't seem to affect star colours much in my limited experience. It did make post processing a heck of a lot easier giving me much darker skies to work with not dominated by the red glare. It does obviously require longer exposure times but the upshot is that the chip doesn't get saturated with the LP effect. So a few more exposures or longer and it's all good for me.
Unless I was looking for carbon stars or particular colours I tend to use the CLS for almost all pix.