View Single Post
Old 24-08-2018, 12:25 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

so you want the one made of solid gold? so when the pollies muck everything up you can at least melt it for scrap

hell of a problem to have and i'm qualified to point you in the right direction.
I have a CGEM DX but since my stroke I'm not able to assemble etc so i'm stuck with using a smaller setups.

So advice one: since this is your last buy hows your health? if something happens do you want to be able to continue using the setup?

Second, I would search youtube for those tripods, anything at all, and just see how they appear to be to use and live with for other owners, see for yourself if anything is going to make things difficult for your needs etc. Also take note on the search results, if there are thousand of videos on repairing one particul tripod it may be worth checking if they are prone to a certain fault or if it was only on an earlier model? Hard to future proof though, theres little that really changes, once you have gps and a computer connection theres nothing i can think of that a tripod might need expect robot legs to walk itself to a dark site likewise when looking at youtube videos see if any of the owners talk about a particular feature on theirs or addon that has made a big improvement. basically binge watch and take notes and look for good and bad points for you. you might be built like Arnie and picking up a fully equiped setup easy one handed to put in your humvee but you might be a gangly mr bean so you have to decide if any of the options are likely to be good for you to live with and use for years to come. make sure to consider servicing, will it need period servicing and are there videos to help you know what to expect, are there hypertune kits and are they necessary for these options?

Also be patient with the decision, sleep on it once made before ordering, be certain you're happy, be certain you know what downsides to expect and are fine with those. if you can do that you should always be happy with the buy. Dont think "i should have saved a bit more and got something else" it'll gnaw at your mind. Still you have to be practical and draw the line in the budget and stick to it. good luck mate.