View Single Post
Old 19-07-2017, 03:46 PM
Nebulous (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lognic04 View Post
.. you CANT do any astrophotography with the 6se, because it is alt-az (tracks the stars the wrong way for astrophotography!)
Hi Logan,

Why do you say that you can't do astrophotography with an Alt-Az mount?

Any point in the sky can be identified by coordinates along two axes, and keeping track of that is not a hard task for a computer. Surely the issue isn't just the type of mount it's the accuracy of the gearing and programming in that mount?

I can't see why a good quality alt-az tracking mount shouldn't be able to track a location accurately. If a mount can track one axis accurately then why not two? Presumably you would have to allow for the effect of field rotation but I'm guessing that might be possible to correct (realign) with the processing software, provided the exposures aren't too long? No? I guess it depends on how long the exposures are before things get blurry.

This is pure speculation on my part as I have only used a variety of alt-az mounts for basic non-tracking astrophotography so far, but others do seem to manage it. The guy in this video for instance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekGg-xBIYng

Clearly he's done a huge amount of post processing, but he seems genuine enough. Is he too good to be true?

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited by Nebulous; 19-07-2017 at 04:12 PM. Reason: typos and corrections..