View Single Post
Old 18-07-2017, 07:17 PM
Malcolm

I think your best bet is to go with the 8" collapsible GOTO SkyWatcher. You'll have enough to get a 2" GSO Barlow and a GSO 2" 32mm lens as well from the same site. The collapsible cools very quickly, having an open tube and is easy to carry. I owned one of these, not a GOTO though. Since then upgraded to a 10" solid OTA 10" GOTO. Aperture is king, and the dob is known as a light bucket. The first mod you do should be fitting leveling feet, buy these at Bunnings, and a small spirit level, so you can get the base level which is important for GOTO tracking. I fitted three small blocks and then the adjustable feet. If I don't have power on-site I use one of those jumper packs from Autobarn that has a cig lighter output on it. One advantage of a collapsible is that if you cannot achieve forward focus, you can always lower the struts 30mm or so to get that sweet spot of focus. You'll probably need some sort of adjustable height chair to save your back as well. The whole thing is a bit of a learning curve, but don't be dissuaded by it, it's never too late to learn something new. Download Stellarium, and if you have an Android phone, drop me a pm. And when the scope is delivered, it'll be cloudy or pissing down rain for sure. LOL! :-)